THIS BLOG HAS NOW MOVED

This blog has now moved to http://philbearman.co.uk/blog/

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Beware of Imitations!

When you have a successful business it's important not to get complacent, and to keep an eye on your competition.

When I started producing motion graphics for nightclubs and bars in 2004, as far as I am aware there were only two real competitors to my service, and neither offered a fixed price structure like mine.

I put together the price structure to make it easy for venues to understand what they were paying for, and work to their own budget.

I recently did a bit of Googling to see who was out there now, and found a few new websites which have sprung up offering custom nightclub/bar visuals. I was amused (and flattered!) to see that they have all copied my pricing structure, and in some cases have made a very obvious copy of my business model, even down to the wording of their website and additional business areas (one has a 'themed DVDs' section, which is 'coming soon...' - it will be interesting to see what comes of that!)

It's nice to have some company in my area of business - I believe competition is very healthy, and by having alternatives out there it means clients can take a look at what is on offer and feel happy that they've made their own choice of supplier rather than only having one option.

Importantly, it also gives me the motivation to keep developing my service and improving the quality of my work.

I have two major products/services in the pipeline specifically for my nightclub/bar clients, which I believe, in addition to my 5 years of experience, will maintain my position as an industry leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment